Prostitution in Yemen is illegal but common especially in Aden and in the capital, Sana'a. Some hotels have "house prostitutes" and it is possible to book a room and a woman to be ready on arrival. Many sex tourists from other Gulf states , particularly Saudis and Emiratis , indulge in what are known as "tourist marriages". Sex trafficking  and child prostitution   are problems in the country. In , the Yemeni religious police led a crackdown against Chinese -organised prostitution in Sana'a. The workers at many massage parlors , spas and restaurants were dragged out into the streets, and the establishments were closed down. It was alleged that corruption had allowed the establishments to operate up to that time.
Shortly after she turned 12, her father introduced her to a year-old man and informed her that the man had paid to marry her. Aisha soon had two children. As her husband grew older, physical limitations caused him to stop working, and the family struggled to get by. One day, her husband brought a man into their home, then beat Aisha and forced her to have sex with him for money. After that, the man began to visit their home on a regular basis. One afternoon, when she was having sex with the man, her father stopped by to check on her.
With negotiations underway in Sweden aimed at ending the devastating conflict in Yemen, Yemeni women have been demanding a seat at the table. They represent different political sensibilities, activists, development workers and civil society. One of the women at the helm of this campaign is Rasha Jarhum, a women's rights activist from Yemen and co-founder of the Peace Track Initiative. She tells us how she perceives these negotiations. Also this week, the Nobel Peace Prize was officially awarded to Nadia Murad and Dr Denis Mukwege for their efforts to stop rape and sexual violence being used as weapons of war. Murad was among thousands of Yazidi women who were taken hostage and held as sex slaves when the Islamic State group swept into Iraq. Her mother and six brothers are still missing. Finally, the Saudi Arabia-based network BeoutQ provides coverage of major tennis and football tournaments, as well as TV programming. This is the result of a diplomatic feud in the Middle East that has seen several nations cut trade ties with Qatar over the country's alleged support for terrorism.
The study presents a shocking picture. Migration to the cities, poverty, unemployment, high fertility rates, lack of social services, and the lack of support for the poor by the state—all contributed to the problem of street children. Researchers selected 4, street children girls and 4, boys , aged , as a sample group. However, the phenomenon is broader and affects an estimated 30, children, 60 per cent of whom work and sleep on the streets, living by their wits without contact with their families. The remaining 40 per cent work the streets but return to some kind of makeshift home at night. The situation is destined to get worse according to the study, which notes that humanitarian associations tend to avoid the problem. Of the 6, civil society organisations that exist nationwide, only 3 to 5 of them dealt with street children. These children are underschooled; most have not complete primary school.